Sunday 19 October 2014

Week 6 in Tonga Mon 13.10. - Sun 19.10.2014

Week 6 in Tonga; 13.10-19.10.2014

Monday 13th of October      
                               
I had the first meeting with the class captains this morning about the idea of doing a community development project. After introducing each other, I told them of the idea of doing an activity which benefits the society. They have to come up with an idea of what we could do in our next meeting which is Friday.


The cooks!
  
In the evening, I decided to go for a run. When I came to the gate, it was locked. At 6:00 pm all the gates at QSC boarding school was locked. There was someone broke in last week therefore we had a lock down. If you want to go out from the school after 6:00 pm, you have to get the key from somewhere. But when you come back, and no one is around then you are in trouble. Of course, you can always climb...

Fehi came around to fix the bike but unfortunately I got the wrong part. 





Tuesday 14th October

I got the key for the gate then went to make copies. There were two locksmiths in Nuku’alofa and they could not duplicate the key. I guess it was a special key type, and they did not have the parts. When I returned the key to the “faifekau”, he came up with the solution; the small gate stayed open until 9:00 pm, halleluja!
   
There was no one came for counselling and I spent the day writing my blog and did some of my school assignment. After school, I fixed my bike then went cycling. When I came back, I found few “uto” from the school’s kitchen. What a taste, did not eat “Uto” for ages.
 The 'uto! 


Some of the students and few teachers were making "kahoa" leis!






 Wednesday 15th October

There were students came in for counselling. Some ran away from school last Friday. They went to one of the girls’ house to eat some chicken…. Through discussion, I came to know that the “ako alu” day school students are not allowed to go out of the school ground during lunch time. Some of the students live quite near the school and they can easily go home for lunch...

Group of friends came in, one of them put her foot on the ledge of the class room’s veranda. The teacher saw her and thought that she about to climb over the ledge... The youngsters just fooled around before the class started.…



The parents visited the boarding school bringing food in the evening. There were plastic bags of bread, sodas, pancakes and etc. You think, the parents had many daughters and the food was for the whole week. No, it was only for few minutes. The friends and whoever was around joined in for the feast, there was something never change with boarding school life in Tonga.


I remembered when Ipu came to visit us, me and my young sister, Silia in high school. Every time she came to town, she brought some food. Often, when I came around the food was gone. Whoever of our friends got there first, took the food and the feast started… 

Thursday 16th October  

I did not know there was an assembly this morning when I got out I heard the singing and I was late. The wind picked up since last night. Some of the students tried to put up a tent outside but  it had to dismantled due to the wind.

I spent the day at the computer lap writing the songs/poems that some of the students have handed in. I was not sure whether I could use these songs but they were interesting and outright funny. Perhaps for another project.

I also talked to 2 publishing houses in Nuku'alofa about my Youth Hymn Book project. They would send me their price quotations of how much might cost to print the hymn book in Tonga. A very long process but had to start somewhere.

Friday 17th October

We did not have assembly this morning instead we had singing practice. It was the last time to have one with the senior classes F5, F6 and F7 until next month. They will have their study weeks starting next week and followed by the external exams in the beginning of November.





The nurses came again but this time to check the teachers' sugar level and blood pressure. There was a queue of teachers and after a short waiting I was in. We were all healthy on paper, but I was wondering whether the instrument was working properly.

 


Our community project working group had our second meeting during the lunch time. Doing a clean-up campaign was the main idea proposed. After discussion, we decided to clean the ground around the Royal Tomb, Mala'ekula"; between the fence and the road... 

Mala'ekula is located in the middle of Nuku’alofa and QSC occupied two opposite sides of the Royal Tomb.  We still have to ask for the teachers approval and of course, a permission from the Place Office. The kids are working on it…

I went running and when I came up to the playground there was a game of touch rugby. There were two kids from the neighbour watching. I called them to come and join us. “We are working” they shouted back. There was a street sale in front of their house and they were the sellers. After a while, I head “MOTU’A, MOTU’A… when I looked at their direction they were calling to me, “we want to come…”. REALLY? I guessed they stated the fact, that I am a “motua” (old man) J

We had our normal kava party at the “kai’angakai” (manger), the name for our “kava club” at the school. Manger in this case means many things. First of all, there is no expectation of having a “Tou’a”. We are drinking kava in an all-women school, why don’t we have a “tou’a”, one of many complains uttered by the young guys at the “Kai’angakai”. Ok, next week we would have one, the pastor always said. Of course next week came and went and the “tou’a” never materialize.  We finished after 3 am.


Saturday 18th October

I got up late, called Finland, felt good then I headed to the sea front fair. I stopped at one of the food huts, ordered a “luu puaka” for $5 and “Otai” for $1.  I really liked the Tongan food… It probably did not say much since I eat everything. One good thing about eating out, when the served food finished, you got up and left. Lunch was over. At home, I kept on eating until I couldn’t take anymore and there always food around. You really need to turn up your exercise routine if you are in Tonga. 



I went for a run; around the royal tomb down to the centre and came up to the main FWC church. There was no game at the ground so I continued to QSC. I think, I ran through many blocks and it felt like an hour. I got to the corner where I started and it was ONLY 10 minutes passed. Oh s___! 

I continued through the neighbourhoods. It was a good way to explore Nuku’alofa. People are getting ready for Sunday. There were ward cleaning, rubbish burning, and etc. I could also have some snap shots of what kinds of people live in the neighbourhood. I stopped at a volleyball game and I knew someone there... There were 3 kids playing touch rugby in one of the yards, I joined them for a while. 

Sunday 19th October


The Sunday routine started. I went to Kapeta Church for the services; 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. Today was the Evangelical Sunday which the emphasis was on Evangelical work. In the afternoon service, there were guest speakers on different topics related to the theme.  

The main attraction of the two services was the youth choir. Oh my God! Yes exactly. They sang also in English. After the service we went straight to the hall for a few cups of kava. The service ended around 6:00 pm. I got home about 12:00 midnight, a bit dizzy but grateful to be home.  

Of course, my relatives did come to visit today, I meant brought some "luu"

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment