Sunday 12 October 2014

Week 4 in Tonga 29.9.-5.10.2014

Week 4 in Tonga; 29.9.-5.10.2014

Monday 29th September

Today, I got the first songs from the students, Form 1M (F1). F1 is the first year in high school and most of the songs/poems were about mother and some were very funny. There was only one about father. I guessed mothers are more appreciated J

The students were asked to write songs which I could use as lyrics for the Tongan Youth Hymn Book, “Ko e Tohi Himi ma’ae To’utupu”. I also asked the teachers to participate. Both students and teachers are quite busy this term, there are final exams plus the external exams for the senior classes F5, F6 and F7.

Tuesday 30th September

There were more students came to see the counsellor. One of them used one of the young teachers’ mobile phone to call home... Mobile is not allowed in QSC. Possession a phone is a punishment crime and using a “young male” teacher’s phone seemed to fall into that category also. The friends happened to be in a wrong place in a wrong time and they were all guilty.

One of the visitors was a young student (F2) who wrote few colourful words in her exercise book.  I think, she had a very good imaginary… Unfortunately, her teacher did not have a sense of humor. Why sent her to the counsellor, I wondered? 

Wednesday 1st October

I went and bought a radio. I missed both the local and the international news. I was checking the stations. After a while, I realised that the power line already came off the wall but the radio was still on. It was a magic radio, I thought. It stayed on for many hours without power source. The Chinese shop should advertise this property of its radio; energy efficiency, it charged for few minutes and working for hours...


Thursday 2nd October

After school, two students came to do some work at my place. They washed the curtains and wiped the windows. They were doing their punishment work for coming late last weekend. The boarding school students left the QSC on Friday evening and came back on Saturday evening. If you were late for whatever reasons, you were punished. There was no point calling about coming late because it would not make any difference…

I cooked some food for the girls. They had other duties and they left to do them and came back later when the food was ready. When they came back, they were 4 of them. They walked in as if I invited them also. I forgot Tongans always shared their food. My Tonganisation process continued J.

Friday 3rd October


I had to take the school band group photo for the school magazine before we went for the teachers’ parade. Today we marked the “World Teachers Day”. All the teachers in Tongatapu were supposed to be at the cerebration which started with a march from the seafront to the National Stadium, Teufaiva. There were thousands of teachers from government schools and from church schools; from primary schools, from high schools and from higher education institutes. Bands and floats accompanied the teachers and hundreds of people lined up the street to watch the march. At Teufaiva, programmes continued with more performances. Amazing day! I met more old friends at the event and it was the same as last time we departed. Promised to see again but I was sure some of them I would never see again...   















































  



Most of the teachers came out wearing pink in support of the Pink October, the Breast Cancer Awareness month campaign.

Saturday 4th October

Toni and Nia came by and they gave me a lift to the market to get some water melon, coconut, pawpaw and banana. I like my bike but there is a limit to what it can carry. 

I went to watch the main game of rugby between Toloa’s ex-boys and the Army at the stadium, Teufaiva. It was lively and good to see the Tongan supporters of both teams giving it their all. Unfortunately for the Toloa’s fans, the Army won. 

It was the main game and I figured the referee could be one of the best among the Tongans but he was terrible. There were hundreds of scrums and penalties. I wonder how we could improve the game with this quality of refereeing.    


 The fan!


Sunday 5th October

 
Samuela & Kava preparing the Sunday Umu!


I returned to Kapeta’s church for the morning service. I saw Judge Peauafi Pifeleti. I met Peau in Falefai when my parents worked there and it was Christmas holiday 1992. Last time I talked to him it was by phone, he was in NZ at the time and it was many years ago. I was invited for lunch.



There was lot of food coming. Toni and Nia came around with food when I got home from the church. The neighbour brought some and Mele came also with more food. I am sure it would be enough until next Sunday...  


My 4th week in Tonga was over!

No comments:

Post a Comment