Monday 13 October 2014

Week 5 in Tonga; 6.10-12.10.2014

Week 5 in Tonga; 6.10-12.10.2014



Monday 6th of October

Today, the internal exams for the senior classes; Form 5, F6 and F7 started. All over Tonga, the 6th class and the final year students of primary schools were also sitting the entrance exams today. Next year, those who passed the entrance exam would start high school.

I went to play touch rugby at the St. Andrew’s playground. This time, there were players but there was no ball. Someone was looking for it. It took some time before the ball appeared. It was the same situation when I was young. There were enthusiastic players but there were no equipment. I could take a ball with me next time. Any help out there? Am sure these guys will appreciate it.

We played 7s and after few games I could not keep up. I took the bike and went for a drive. I went through Tu’atakilangi. On my way back, I saw ‘Atenisi. I always fascinated with ‘Atenisi and its founder, Prof. Futa Helu. ‘Atenisi was the smallest University in the World. Futa passed away few years ago and unfortunately ‘Atenisi Institute (High school and University) was somehow closed. I never been to ‘Atenisi before and I was sorry to come so late. 

Tuesday 7th October

Not ready yet!

After school, I heard some of the staff went to do some work at their plantation. I decided to do some exercise and cycled there. I was shown the plantation before. I cycled all the way to Veitongo. I decided to come back, it was getting dark. On my way back I found the teachers near Tufumahina… Even in Tonga, you got lost. About half a kilometer from QSC, my bike broke down, the left paddle fell off. Not again! 



Wednesday 8th October

After school I decided to visit the gym which was in Teufaiva. I saw online an article about the gym which was opened by the late King George Tupou IV to promote healthy living among the Tongans. Lack of maintenance was obvious. The equipment was basic and was in bad condition. Despite the condition of the gym, the guys were in really good shape. I could only imagine what would happen if these young people get their hands on better equipment.


Young people with good talents are plenty here in Tonga in whatever sports. The problem is, there is no equipment available for them. Anyone out there who has any idea how to help, please do. I am sure the Teufaiva Gym would appreciate any support you may have.

Mele’s son, Fehi came to fix the bike. Mele told that Fehi fixed his own bike and he could do the same to mine. He brought his tools and he actually did a good job. He volunteered to fix the bike anytime and I could give it to him when I leave. It was a fair trade and I agreed.

 The "polopolo", Fehi and Mele!

Thursday 9th October

I just talked to Rozza and she was having an evening snack… There was a 10 hours different between Tonga and Finland. It was around 7:30 am here and in Finland was 9;30 pm on Wednesday night. I took my breakfast at the same time, a sweet pawpaw of course.



Elenoa and I decided yesterday that we would meet up this morning at the exam room. Elenoa did not show up and I ended up helping with supervision. The Form 5, F6 and for F7 were sitting their Economics, Tongan and Biology exams… There were few students sleeping during the exam and I was not sure whether they finished or ran out of ideas. Interesting!


In the afternoon, I stopped by at the Education Office. I talked with Mele’ana about my placement in QSC. We also discussed the youth hymn book project, “Tohi HimiMa’ae To’utupu”. I also expressed appreciation for organizing my visit. I also had a good talk with Mele Finau who is working in the office also. Mele was in USP; stories, memories, jokes were thrown around… Unfortunately, Mosese Manuefetoa was not in. He is working in the office and he was in USP also. Mosese is one of the candidates for the Parliament election next month.   



Today was an exception to the general rule of only one kava party per week. Fiefia mixed the kava straight after school, 4:00 pm and we were only two of us for few hours. Others came later and we finished around 3:00 on Friday morning. 

Fiefia, the man!
Friday 10th October




I went to TTI to see the counsellor, Fononga. I called Tevita few days ago and asked whether I could come and talk to their counsellor? I had a very interesting conversation with Fononga. We talked about youth culture, Tongan culture and etc. I think, he has done a lot and I did enjoy his enthusiasm.


Tongan fire truck!

When I came back from TTI, I stopped at the Friendly Island Bookshop to see Sela about my project the “Tongan Youth Hymn Book”. She took 4 of the songs/notations. She was going to write the lyrics for them. I was so glad that she wanted to help.

In the evening, we went to Tupou High School for kava party. Rev. Tu'ipulotu Finau, Rev. Simione Halaifonua, Rev. Leopino Mafile'o and Rev. Save (the director of Education for the Tongan Church) and our young guys with our string band were there. Tu'ipulotu was there and few other teachers. ‘Asi Fale was one of them. We were in high school together ages ago. It was good to be in company of priests, no evil...




Saturday 11th October

I woke up late this morning after the kava last night which we finished after 4.00 am. I heard the cannon sounds echoing through Nuku’alofa. I got onto my bike and cycled down to the sea front. Damn, the bike broke again and by the time I arrived at “Pangai”, the gun salute was over. I asked the soldiers who started to pack their equipment, what was the occasion? I was told ...it was something to do with the returning of “Princess Elisiva Fusipala Tau ki ‘Onetuku Vaha’i” who died in the USA and just arrived to Tonga this morning.

The Princess was one of the highest chiefs in Tonga. Her father was the late Prince Tu’i Pelehake, the younger brother of late King George Tupou IV. Throughout the day, the Tongan national radio station, A3Z playing hymns and aired programmes related to the funeral. Tonight was the wake, different churches provided praying sessions and songs throughout the night until the funeral on Sunday and the programs were aired live on A3Z.

Sunday 12th October

Tevita picked me up around 8:30 and we went to the “talimalanga” in Kolofo’ou’s hall. Few elders and the local priest were having kava waiting for Tevita.  He was the preacher at the main service this morning at Saione. After the service, we returned to the hall to have few more drinks. I still had hangover from Friday night and the kava was getting to me. Only few cups and I already got the feeling from Saturday morning and it was not a good feeling... Luckily for me, it was not long. After the kava session, we drove to Ha’ateiho for lunch at Tevita's house. Tevita and Siosi dropped me back and of course with more food for the evening.  


A new development in Tonga, we sat on chairs and have kava around the table!
I was told, there is debating going on but it is definitely more convenient for older people!



Food is an important part of the Tongan culture. people shared their food even with strangers. It is considered rude not to invite pass by when you have food. I have been invited for lunch after church on Sundays. On Sunday Tongans have Umu and it is a special meal. Neighbours exchange food and people invite each other for lunch...

My 5th week in Tonga was over!

No comments:

Post a Comment