Wednesday 8 October 2014

Week 3 in Tonga; 22.9.-28.9.2014

Week 3 in Tonga; 22.9.-28.9.2014

Monday 22.9.2014

I went to get my Tongan driving license. I can drive Private Motor Vehicle, Light Goods Vehicle, and Heavy Goods Vehicle but not rental cars. Not that I need it but I wonder why do you need a different license for that? 

My information was taken, a photo, signature, fee paid and my license was ready to be printed. After a short waiting my license was ready. That was fast; even in Finland we cannot beat that. Is good to have a license just in case...

I hope my name won't disappear!

I took my application for readmission for Tongan Nationality to the immigration office. I was told someone would call about the time for an interview.  
In the evening, my foot was ok so I went to play touch rugby for the 2nd time again with the guys at St. Andrew’s playground.

Tuesday 23rd September

The school 4th term started today but the boarding school started yesterday evening. Again the place came alive. Today was my first day as a counsellor. I talked to few girls who were sent by the teachers. The case was misbehaved and talked during the meeting/devotion last night. The counsellor supposed to find out who was guilty... 

There were students from the Tongan nurse school did an exercise about tsunami preparedness. After the assembly they gave a general information about stunami and we had the exercise before lunch break. We supposed to gather in one place and to run to another place when we hear the warning sound on the loud speaker. We had one trial, they were not satisfied with the result therefore we would do it again on Thursday.

The nurses



Only Fiji and Canada were saved, where was the Tongan flag?








My niece’s daughter, Meleane called that she would move in tonight. She wanted to come and stay at my place in order to study and prepare for her exams. She is in Form 3 and study at the Ocean of Light high school of the Baha'i Faith. At least, I could provide the space for her to do her study without “tafulu” and disturbances from mother, Mele...



I went to the women’s choir performance “pohiva” at the main church. Tongatapu was divided into 3 districts and they performed tonight. There were 3 choirs with thousands of singers. It was amazing and I could not help but to appreciate the lovely music and was sure the God appreciated it too.    


Wednesday 24th September

At lunch time, I went to see Toloa and Tupou high schools’ bazaar which was at the playground next door. There were food, drinks, handicrafts, kava and so on. People were all over the place buying this and that. After drinking few cups of kava were “given” to me, I bought some Tongan food then left.
Stuff meeting










Thursday 25th September

The tsunami 2nd trial went better and we ended up where we supposed to go. Roll call was conducted and some were missing but luckly they were not dead. In fact, the Tsunami warning was cancelled and everyone was happy... Words of thanks were delivered, we prayed and were dismissed. 






The immigration office called and informed me to come for an interview tomorrow at 9:30.  Again it was fast. I am getting nearer and nearer to become a Tongan. 


Friday 26th September

I went to the playground and there was the Toloa ex-students' rugby team playing. I joined the touch and after 10-15 minutes they continued with their own training programme. I had enough running and I watched their trial for a while then I left. 


The cook, Samuela mixing the kava.

The weekend started with a kava party today. Friday is my kava Tonga day.  Of course, you could go for a drink but since I am a “faifekau” (reverend) now, even going near a place with alcohol is not good for my reputation... 

Unfortunately we are still smoking inside, especially our tou'a, 

Saturday 27th September

I woke up this morning my foot hurt a bit. After having a Tongan breakfast; bananas and pawpaw, I went to the fair at the seafront. People set up stands at the sea front. Different kinds of root crops, greens, clothes, handicrafts, electronics, tools, food of course etc.


I bought a basket of coconut, faikakai and few small things enough for my bike to carry. There was a bunch of ripe bananas but I was already over loaded. Perhaps next week :-).

Again my bike broke, this time was the paddle. I did not bother to go back to Prema so I went and bought spare parts. I cycled the road just exploring Nuku'alofa. It is easy to know where you were since the biggest buildings were churches. They alway put the name of the village/part of the town in addition to the name of the churches. There were so many of them and it good to know which one you should go to. Often the cathedrals were facing each other. I cycled through Ngele'ia and all the way to the Tongan Cultural Centre. I saw a video about the culture centre in Finland and I was disappointed to see the place. Perhaps more sad than disappointed. From the street, the "fale" looked grand and majestic but when I went in, the place seemed ruined and abandoned. What a pity! 



I talked to two of the girls as follow up from previous visiting to the counsellor. There were 8 of them that I supposed to talk to and today were the first 2. It was  more a learning experience for me. I got to know the girls and of course learning more about the Tongan youth culture... 




I have heard not so good stories about the youths and how much they have changed... After 21 years from Tonga, I am not so sure there is something new. There is the youth culture and there is the Tongan culture. I think, the youth just reflects what is going on in the Tongan culture as a whole. Change is coming and either we adjust and go with it or do nothing and be left out...


The boarding school started this evening. They always go home on Friday afternoon after school then come back on Saturday evening at 5.00 pm. They always had singing practise in the evening in preparing for Sunday services. My hut is about 15 metres from the dining hall where they had their practises. Again, I enjoyed listening to the hymns as if I was sitting there in the practise. It was so lovely to listen to the angels of QSC...

Sunday 28th September

We always had a morning service on Sunday morning here at the school around 6:30. It was only for the boarders, teachers who live at the school and their families. It was the first one I attended. 

At lunch time, the food started to come. My neighbour and of course my relatives brought food. Sunday is the umu day for every family and neighbours exchange food as part of Sunday rituals. 

My foot got worse, my whole right foot was swollen and I could not walk. I had difficulty in standing up also. I came to realised that it was the gout. It was never that bad before. I guessed that I had eaten too much "lu pulu masima" which definately not good for the gout. I took the pain killers and stayed in the whole day.

My 3rd week in Tonga was over!




No comments:

Post a Comment