Friday 12 December 2014

Week 11th in Tonga 17.11.-23.11.2014

Week 11 in Tonga; 17.11.-23.11.2014 

Monday17th of November

I picked up ‘Ioane early after 7:00 a.m. and we went to see my parents’ houses. He made few measurement and we talked what could be done to the houses. The smaller house was in a better condition but still need some work though. He would do the calculation at home tonight and I could call tomorrow night to get the numbers.

Manase and I drove around in the morning running few errands. After lunch, we went still to Manase’s plantation to take the food for the workers and to take water for the cows. Ti Lavemaau came to see us before we left. Manase was coming to Tongatapu also, he would fly to New Zealand early tomorrow morning. The boat left at 4:00 pm and we made it just in time but somehow I did not worry a bit of being late. The weather was good and the trip was quite comfortable. Hango was waiting for us at the harbor. They dropped me to QSC and I was invited for dinner. 


 The guys having a break for a drink of coconuts!
"Hihiloku", halleluja!
  
Back to Tongatapu!
The trip back from Eua to Tongatapu


I took a shower and then cycled to Hango’s house. It was nice to see Teine also, Hango’s daughter who is in Form 5 in QSC. After the dinner, I went to the internet café to check my mail and to call Finland. On my way home, I stopped by at “Kai’angakai”. The guys were already started. I sat for a while talking about Eua also and then I went home to sleep. I was still tired from the trip. 


Tuesday 18th of November

My breakfast, some of the papaya from Eua
Two bunches of banana from Eua, will be ready when the kids arrive!

I was getting ready to go to “ako’alu” but when I got out, few teachers and the girls were cleaning the school backward. I changed again and joined them cleaning. There was lot of rubbish accumulated from previous years. We took some iron and electronic rubbish also to the recycling place. We got $25 from the whole truck load we took and we got some cakes and drinks for lunch. The last truck had to be taken to the dumb before it closed at 5:00 pm. After emptying the truck, it broke down. Someone had to come and fixed it and we waited for more than an hour.

 The girls in action, they work really hard!

 Rev. Atunaisa!
There were no cloves, shoes or tools but the job was done without complaining!

In the evening, I got a chance to go through one of my songs with the “akonofo”. We ran through the Tongan notation, sol fa and also the lyrics both the Tongan and the Finnish. It was really fun. Five of the girls were asked to write lyrics while we had the singing practice. They sat together and wrote one song.  They were Ana Foster, Rebecca Kauvaka, Loseti ‘Otuhouma, Seiloni Fifita and Marieny Navabu Tevi Sila Jr. I was so happy with the results of their work. Now, I got one song from the students.

Wednesday 19th of November

I woke up around 4:00 o’clock, I had a bad dream and did not go to sleep anymore. The good thing was that it was early and the internet worked. I did quite a lot in the morning. At 8:30, I was at school already. We had singing practice but the conductor, Fiefia was late so we went through my song with the “ako’alu” students. After that I joined the singing practice for the High School Music Festival for Friday. In the afternoon, I went to Tau’olunga Komipiuta to work on my songs. Simione wrote the lyrics for the songs “Valoa” and the Sulomalainen rukous”.

I went to water the plants. Today, I saw few plants were tried, may be was too late already. It is quite warm, 22-29 C and it had been sunny every day.  I watered all the plants and would do it while I am here but worried about after that. it has been without rain for many weeks and the plants would not make it with this heat without water. After watering the plant, I joined the guys with a game of touch rugby. It was refreshing to move again after the weekend in Eua. 

I just called ‘Ioane, the carpenter who came to see the houses of my parents in Eua. I supposed to call him yesterday but I forgot. He gave his estimation for the work and it would cost $65,115.00 pa’anga. I did not expect to be that expensive and almost felt out of my chair… Oh no, what should I do now? I already told everyone my plan... I wonder whether the bank would loan me that much money with my current financial situation. Why did I put myself into this madness?

Thursday 20th of November

After a short singing practice, we had a clean-up at the “Mala’ekula” again and few other places owned by the Church. It was a fund raising for our school magazine. I took few pictures helped out with the cleaning. I went to Maamaloa ground and there was the Church’s primary schools’ dance festival. I did not know and just made it to the last dance performance.
The clean-Up!

 


The primary schools dance festival!






The officials!

My older sister, Vika and her husband Nepote came for a visit. Vika just came back from Japan yesterday. Last time I saw her was 2004 in Auckland when we came for the funeral of our father. This time was a much a happier situation. I told her about my plan of renovating our parents’ houses and we talked about many things and about life in general... We chatted for few hours before her daughter Mele came and took them home. It was nice to see her after all these years. 

Friday 21st of November

All the Church High Schools in Tongatapu participated in the Dance Festival. They performed one item each of a traditional dance. Tupou College (Toloa) performed the “Lakalaka”. Few things I realized concerned Toloa. In the morning, they arrived on a red bus and a red truck belonged to Atele. In the lakalaka, part of the performers wore blue, the colour of the Church and some wore red, the colour of the government, more specifically of Tonga College (Atele). Toloa and Atele are both boys’ schools and they are known for rivalry and fights with both students and ex-students often ended up in prison and in hospital. The rivalry has divided Tonga in generations. Any positive symbolic gesture says a lot for how far these schools have come. In their performance, Toloa’s brass band joined the singers in singing the lakalaka. I never saw it before and it was amazing to see the performance and to listen to the music. Tongan modernization in progress. 

Toloa's students on Atele's transportation!








  


The wedding costumes!


Mourning attire!






QSC performed a dance about the Tongan Months, their names and their meanings. Hina and Singilau were the mother and father (parents) and the months were their children. Each month has a duty and function to the community and the Tongans live accordingly to what each months offered… Very fascinating, straight from the Tongan mythology. 
QSC

  




Additional pictures!







The day was sunny and very warm. I guessed it was 29/30 degree. I took pictures all the time. QSC was the last one to perform and of course we sat in the sun for about half an hour. Yes, only half an hour but it felt like hours. I was so tired and felt a bit sick. I took a nap. Of course in the evening, Kai’angakai was opened and I felt flesh again for kava.

Saturday 22nd November

I woke up late. I took my bike and went to the market. After visiting the fair, I cycled all the way to “Houmakelikao” and visited the house where we lived before moving to Finland. I walked up to the door and introduced myself. Both the owners were dead and their son, Ono and his family now living in the house. He is a sailor and they often dock in different harbours in Europe…

When I came back I heard singing from the Queen Salote Memorial Hall. I went in to check and it was the youth Choir from Tu’atakilangi. They were having a rehearsal for this evening performance. Two weeks ago I was at their church listening to them and today they had a Christmas drama. In few weeks’ time, they would visit NZ. The angels of Tu’atakilangi were amazing. Half of them were children and some of them were still in the kindergarten.  They were really really good.

There was an Umu making in progress and I joined the guys. Next Monday would be the last devotion for the QSC. The Secretary of the Church, Tevita Havea would be the preacher and we prepared food for him as presence. 






Just before 6:00 pm, I went to Queen Salote Memorial Hall to watch the “Tu’atakilangi” youth choir. When I arrived, I was told the event was Elisabeth Baker’s end of election campaign. There were few other church choirs, Kapeta and 




Sunday 23rd November

We made another Umu this morning. It was the last Sunday for the boarding school therefore there was food for the teachers and we had lunch together with the boarders. After lunch, I met one of my cousins from Veitongo. She has three girls and they are all here in QSC. Mele and her kids brought some food also.
I spent the whole afternoon sleeping. I was tired from kava almost every night this week. At seven was the Christmas tree event for the boarders. Every house prepared their own Christmas tree and they bought sweets, balloons and different decoration for the event.







 



My 11th week in Tonga came to an end. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment