Sunday 28 September 2014

1st Week, in NZ: 1.9.-8.9. 2014



My Trip to Tonga

1.9.-8.9.2014

I left Helsinki on Monday 1st of Sept at 4:00 pm and arrived to NZ on Wednesday morning the 3rd at 10:00 o’clock. I stayed in Auckland for several days and left to Tonga on Monday morning 8th of Sept.

New Zealand


                                                                From my mother’s garden

In Auckland I stayed with my mother, Ipu and the house was always full with visitors. My younger sister, Silia her children and her grandchildren live quiet near. One of my older sister’s daughter, Tule and family also live few blocks away. My in laws are also around the block. They brought food and noises with them whenever they came. Come to think of it, they hardly left at all… J.



Thursday 4th of Sept

I was fortunate to attend the marking of the “Tongan Week” during my stay in Auckland. The primary school “Onepoto” just next door cerebrated the Tongan Week with a cultural event. It was the first occasion to see the Tongans cerebrate their culture after many years. The children were in their Tongan costumes, in different forms and colours. They were so beautiful and they enjoyed the event also. As an IMPORTANT part of the culture, the food was even bigger and tastier.  





  


  Some of the Tongan handicrafts presented





 The Tongan costumes; there was an explanations of their function and their importance in the Tongan culture.






 The lovely sisters and their tapa clothes costumes.





  
Our future; the kids were amazing with their kahoa (lei) ta’ovala (mat around the waist), kiekie (ta’ovala for women) and the best of all their smiling faces.


 

Behind, hanging on the wall is the tapa cloth. It is our traditional wear. It comes in different sizes and designs. Small one can be worn in performances, weddings and in different social functions. The bigger ones can be used as decoration, gifts, and etc. Tapa is one of the most important and most valuable handicrafts of the Tongans.  







  


I attended my first kava party on Thursday night. The “kava club” was at the back of my sister’s house and when I arrived around midnight the party was in full swing. The party goers, except the “tou’a” were all men. I wonder why? J


The To’ua is the woman who served the kava and kava is our traditional drink. Going to a kava party is like going to a bar to drink beer without the women. The tou’a’s task is much easier now days somehow. The kava is mixed by a man and the tou’a is only served it from the kava bowl with a long spoon. Of course, she has to endure the sitting long hours and all the attentions given by admirers and neuters. 

There was a “string band”, two guitars and a ukulele. I remembered in my yester years in Tonga, I did not like singing during the kava party. I liked talking and enjoyed discussion…. As the night progressed and we got drunk, no one wanted to talk therefore they started to sing. Since I didn’t know much how to sing, I normally felt asleep.



After every song we had a round of kava. To tell you the truth, I really enjoyed the music. The band led the songs but everyone was singing. Some of the songs I knew and some didn’t but still enjoyed it all the same. The harmony was beautiful and I really enjoyed listening.

I was introduced as the visitor from Europe… I got the feeling; there was an understanding or assumption among the group that I should take it easy and “nipi nipi” served in a very small quantity. Most of the kava drinkers brought their own kava cup.  Those with bigger cups have bigger serves and with small cups accordingly. Unless requested otherwise. You can tell from the cups who are the heavy drinkers…  



The to’ua left around 4.00 am and so most of the kava drinkers. By 7 am, there were only 4 of us. We decided to call the night off. I was so thankful for being “nipi nipi” but I still spent the whole Friday in bed and even got sick…   

Saturday 6th of September




I woke up in the morning, there was a commotion outside. It was our Tongan neighbour preparing for a “tunu puaka”, roasting pigs for a church function in the afternoon. How long would it take, I asked? 5 hours one of them answered. I was so interested to see how they go about with the task. I did not see much firewood around to last even one hour. But one of them produced from a little shack some blocks of wood/timber. After a while the fire was up and they started to work... We left short after but when we came back in the afternoon, the daughter brought some food and of course a delicious piece of pork.


 
 The “puaka tunu” (roasted pig) is an important part of the Tongan cuisine. No function without a puaka tunu. The skin is crispy but the meat is tender and juicy, vey delicious in deed.


My father’s Grave


We visited my father’s grave. I was here almost 10 years ago. My father passed away in October 2004. I visited to his funeral with my youngest daughter, Tahine. This visit was happier though, my mother said few words and we took pictures. On our way back, my niece’s husband, Osika joked to my mother; “…we always pray when we visited Tevita, we did not pray today…”  “… I did ask you guys when we arrived, what do you normally do when visited but no one said anything... I guess your prayers on your previous visits covered today also” I said.


My father, Rev. Tevita Elone was a minister at the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga (Methodist Church). We traveled around the islands from Tongatapu, Eua, Ha’apai and Vava’u groups because of my parents’ work. Family prayer was a part of everyday life. Every morning and evening there was a family prayer. In Tonga, there is no occasion without praying…

Sunday 7th of September

The church started a 12 noon but since we were early I went to the “faikava”, kava drinking at the hall just behind the church. Usually the senior members of the church sit around and drink kava before the service. They talk about current affairs, what has happened since last Sunday and sometimes discuss the bible readings for the day and so on.




Today, was the normal Sunday service, followed by the “sakalameniti” (sacrament) and followed by the “po lea fakamalo ki he Misinale” (speeches and words of thanks for the church annual donation, the Misinale. Despite the long service, I enjoyed the singing and I sang along when I remembered the lyrics. The choir was accompanied by a brass band. I knew the choir master, Paula. I knew the minister’s wife, Valeti. Her older sister and brother were my teachers in high school. There were few people we were at high school together. Some of the people still remember me from my last visit. It is really a small world. We finally got out of the church at 3.00 pm. I took few pictures and exchanged greetings with the rest of the church goers.



Normally these programs can run individually in different times on Sunday but considering the living situation in Auckland, the logic was better to do them all in one go than coming back again in the evening.  


      After the church, the sisters




After the service, the extended families were at my sister’s house for lunch. It was a feast again. Few kava drinkers were still at the club since last night joined too. I have been amazed with amount of food the Tongans are eating. They hardly go for a second serve and never took a 3rd serve. They took the 1st – 4th serves all at once. J Do you know the different between breakfast, lunch and 100 other meals? They are in different time of the day all right, but the amount and kind of dishes are the same. You can’t stay “slim” for long with the Tongans, food is around 24/7 and delicious also. If you forget the gym, in no time, you will have a Tongan “lovely figure” J.


No comments:

Post a Comment